Email : info@epmstrategy.com | Call Us Now : 479-373-1374
:: Home :: Sitemap ::
Follow Us

PSDBUpdater errors

By: Collin Quiring

 

This is a more technical blog entry than most of the ones that we put here.  However, a lot of time and effort was spent on this and if I can save somebody else from having to expend that much energy I am happy to do it!

 

First, the error message:

Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3

Category: General

Event ID: 6875

Type: Error

 

Error loading and running event receiver Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.WSSEventReceivers.PSDBUpdater in Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.PWA,Version=12.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c. Additional information is below.

 

: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: ProjectServerError(s) LastError=GeneralSecurityAccessDenied Instructions: Pass this into PSClientError constructor to access all error information at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebService.PWA.ObjectLinkProviderUpdateItemLinks(ObjectLinkProviderDataSet dsOlp, PWSLinkDataSet dsPws)

 

Second, the key items of the technical setup:

                Project Server 2007, SP2

                64 bit server

                Windows Server 2003, SP2

                Internet Explorer 7, most recent patches/updates

                Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, SP1 + Infrastructure Update

                SQL Server 2005 SP3 (separate server)

 

Third, the search:

Google (and Bing) searches came back with a few results but not many ideas for resolution.  We dug through various logs on both servers, including the SQL Server logs – but to no avail.  The log information was either a duplicate of the error message or less descriptive.  According to Microsoft, a potential solution would be to run a repair of SharePoint (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc560963.aspx). 

 

We ran the repair but there was no change.  After banging our heads on our desks for a while, it was discovered that the error messages seemed to be following a pattern – somewhat random, but a pattern nonetheless. 

 

Fourth, the solution:

That is when Bruce figured out the solution for our situation.  The errors occurred whenever somebody was trying to add a document, issue, risk or try to link one of those items to a task.  AND, this could happen whenever a schedule was published (I guess it tries to “refresh” all the links?).  So, on every publish that had issues/risks/documents or other links with SharePoint or PWA the error would show up.

 

We modified the permissions for the correct security groups to allow “Create Object Links”.  Since then, all appears to be resolved for THIS error.

 

Fifth, the new error:

We no longer see the error message that we were getting.  However, we do see that we have a new issue – which I think is a Microsoft Project code issue and not necessarily something that we can resolve (but I am willing to be corrected!).   This is the message we get:

Error loading and running event receiver Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.WSSEventReceivers.PSDBUpdater in Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.PWA,Version=12.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c. Additional information is below.

 

: Unexpected end of file while parsing Name has occurred. Line 1, position 256.

 

We believe this is because we have a few documents with super long titles.  After we modify the name of the document to be shorter, we do not get this error message.  So, unless somebody tells me otherwise, we are going to go with that theory and try to use “normal” length document titles.

Comments